Sunday, December 2, 2007

Where's the Beef?

I suppose I'm dating myself (pretty desperate, don't you think?), but I actually remember where that quote comes from. If you remember too, and choose to email me about it, I'll give you a gift certificate to the establishment that gave birth to the quote, provided you're among the first five correct answers. Of course, that has nothing to do with the topic of this post.

Last week, I took some prepared food to the Panama City Rescue Mission. When I got out of my car, a man asked me to give him some meat before taking it inside the mission. "Why?", I asked.

"Because we'll never see any of that meat."

"What do you mean, you'll never see any of that meat?"

"By the time we homeless guys go through the line, the meat will be gone."

He told me that the people in the drug treatment and other programs at the Rescue Mission go through the food line first, and eat up all the meat. I told him I couldn't break into the pans, but he helped me take them inside anyway. I trust he got to eat some of it, since it was unexpected food.
I have much respect for those who run the Rescue Mission, and I'm very glad the man didn't tell me the employees of the mission eat all the meat (Someone recently told me that about a mission in a different city).

I don't know whether his claim was true, but I do know it's quite plausible. For most non-vegetarians, meat is the most expensive part of our diets. The same is probably true at the Mission. Whether the food is donated or the mission buys it, chances are that the meat costs more than the rest. Because we're such a carnivorous society, we tend to think of our meals as being a "main course" which is virtually always a meat dish, and other "side dishes." It's likely that whoever goes through the line would make sure they get a main course, even if they don't eat the veggies and other sides. So toward the end of the line, it's very plausible to me that the meat supply would run low. If the "homeless off the streets" are in the back of the line, they might not get any meat. In case you're a local, please understand this: I HAVE NOT INVESTIGATED THE CLAIM THAT THE MISSION RUNS OUT OF MEAT. While it could be true, experience tells me it's at least as likely NOT to be true.

I may not be able to reliably verify the claim, but the morning after this experience, I made a commitment to be a vegetarian until my birthday (Christmas Eve). Any money I save by NOT eating meat I will either (1) give to someone for the purpose of purchasing meat for "people off the street"; or (2) use to buy ready-to-eat non-perishable meat products for the hungry people who come my way. Perhaps you'd like to join me. If so, I invite you to either give money directly to your local rescue mission or Salvation Army outpost for that purpose, or simply buy non-perishable ready-to-eat meat products that do not require a can opener, and either take them to an agency such as a local church (Hungry people come to most local churches every day seeking help) or keep them yourself. When you see someone with a "Hungry - need food" or "will work for food" sign, give them some food on the spot.

Another idea: This one came from an experience at a McDonalds in downtown Panama City. On my way in, I struck up a conversation with a man outside the restaurant. After we had talked a few minutes, he told me he was hungry and asked if I would buy him a meal. I bought two meals, than sat down with him and shared food and conversation for the next 20 minutes. I don't know which one of us gave more, but both of us received gifts from and with each other that day.

Another time, I had met my dad in a parking lot. We were talking when a young man walked up and asked if we would give him at least enough money to get food for his traveling companion, whom I took to be his wife. Instead of giving money (I had none with me), I reached in my car and pulled out the brown bag lunch my mother had sent.

I have missed many opportunities, but I'm missing fewer than I used to. The reason is that I've become convinced that God created us to help each other, and nowhere is God's presence more obvious to me than when one reaches out for help and another reaches out to help. Therefore, I try to help everyone I can. In this as in many situations, I try to do what I can, and not worry about what I can't do.

If you decide to give "meat money" to the hungry this season, please email me. I'd love to keep up with how many meals and/or dollars are given away because of this simple challenge. Until next time, keep on giving!


©2007 J. Michael Bryan. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful, Michael! I will be joining the "meat money" cause. Thanks

J. Michael Bryan said...

Thanks, PD. As you know, the more the merrier!

jmb